Monday, October 26, 2015

Great Black and White Photographers Part 3

1.) What first caught your eye while looking at your photographers photos? Is there something in particular about their photos that made you want to choose them? Post the images with your writing.
Lee Friedlander's black and white photographs each seem to tell a different story. He captures portraits in urban areas. 


I chose this photo of his's because of the story it conveys. The eerie face in the television gives a sense that someone is watching you. Also, the expression the actress has, reminds me of old hollywood glamor.  The old television lets me know this image was taken in the past where television and movies are a somewhat new concept.

As the photographer, I'm seeing inside a motel room I'm staying in. There is a small television playing a drama. At one point in the show, the actress's face is zoomed in on. I see her unique facial expression filled with disdain, and the interesting shadows cast from other objects in the motel room, and snap I snap a photo.I smell the many scents from the motel. The smell of smoke from discarded cigarette butts and recently washed sheets fill the air. I inhale, and I contemplate the interesting combination of smells.
I hear the loud air conditioner as it produces cool air. The clicking of my camera as I take photographs, pierces the silence of the quiet, late afternoon. I also listen to the buzz of the television as it plays a show.
I taste the lasting after taste of the bitter coffee I had earlier. In response to the coffee, the flavor of minty gum plaques my taste buds. I apprehend the tastes as I shoot.
I feel the button of my camera click repetitively, as I capture photographs. I feel the rough motel carpet beneath my feet. The warm breeze from the open window ruffles my hair. 

I chose this photo of Lee Friedlander's because of the interesting subject and the way it correlates with the background.  The subject, the business man, is standing at the edge of the street with a busy sidewalk behind him. The question mark and the arrows above the man makes me intrigued because Friedlander captured the moment with him in deep thought.

As the photographer, I see people pass by on their ways to work. Cars zoom by on the busy streets. I see an odd looking man stop to look at me as I snap a photo of him.
I smell the pungent scent of garbage littering the streets of New York City. The aroma of hot food being sold by vendors drifts by. The smell of distant smoke from factories and smokers cloud my nostrils.
I hear the honking of cars in long lines of traffic. People speak different languages around me. The sounds of construction fill the air.
I taste warm vendor food. I choke on the fumes filling the air. The taste of coffee plaques my taste buds. 
As the photographer, I feel the button of my camera as I snap photos. The cold wind gently blows my scarf. 


No comments:

Post a Comment